Battle Heron

Old habits die hard, and I thought I would go out and look for someone to shoot at. This is easier said than done in Solitude, and after some running around in a Stratios, I switched to something I'm seeing a lot of out here, a Heron.

With so many alpha players around this area, and explo being a popular newbro activity, I blend right in. The Heron is the best ship for a new player to explore in, as it has as the most mids of any explo frig, and the scan rigs really help a new player track down sites in good time.

I have tried a few different iterations of the battle heron over the years. They do well in the factional warzone as you will often be confused with a plexing farmers. There are two fits I'll link here if you want to give one a try. I have varying success, but at least I get fights and content.

[Heron, Battle Heron]
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II

Warp Scrambler II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster

150mm Light AutoCannon II
150mm Light AutoCannon II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Small Core Defense Operational Solidifier I

Throw some hobs in that beast and you have a supertanked evil bastard of a thing that eats other frigs alive, as long as you can put down enough damage. The tank reps your full shield with each turn, but's very easy to overrep. Autocannon kite and with a little luck your opponent won't even be able to track you.

[Heron, Scanner Probe I]
Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer

1MN Afterburner II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Tracking Disruptor II
Tracking Disruptor II

Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
75mm Gatling Rail II
75mm Gatling Rail II

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I


Acolyte II x3
Hobgoblin II x4

Spike S x1000
Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x1000
Caldari Navy Thorium Charge S x1400
Nanite Repair Paste x22
Optimal Range Disruption Script x2
Tracking Speed Disruption Script x1

I started rolling in this thing after watching Mira Chieve's excellent video. The thing you want to keep an eye out for are ships that rely on range control to track and hit you. Fighting droneboats is not advised, on the other hand, anything with fixed guns will have a lot of trouble tracking you. This is a great counter for Minmatar ships like thrashers, sabres, and svipuls. You will mitigate almost all damage by keeping the target close to the range of your guns, about 7500km, and letting the optimal range scripts do their jobs. The nos on this fit doesn't get a lot of use, as you are at range, so lose it if you have fitting problems. An antipharmikon Iokira and/or a Quafe will serve you well, maintaining range is important.

This is a cheap fit! Even better than that, it is a smart fit. It takes advantage of your enemies assumptions, one of the deadliest strategies in Eve. You can easily play a cyno, a plexer, or a salvager, and jump on your prey without seeming like a threat. The use of range scripts is not something everyone knows about and is almost always unexpected. Turning the tides on someone like this is one of my favorite ways to go about the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing for Eve News24

Emergent Gameplay Gone Right; Exploding a Vendetta

Eve2; Would You Even Want It?